This comforting cacciatore is divine. So easy to make and it just bubbles away on the stove giving you plenty of time to do that summer pre workout you are always talking about!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 4
- Knob of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 chicken legs, divided into thighs and drumsticks (skin removed if desired)
- Flour, to dust
- 2 heads of garlic, cut horizontally
- Fresh bunch of rosemary, diced finely
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- Half a glass of white wine (alcohol will burn off)- just omit if don’t want to use
- 250ml decent chicken stock
- 100g tinned plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 small zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), roughly chopped
- Lemon zest for serving (a must)
- Start: Heat the butter and oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Dust the chicken pieces in flour and fry them in batches until golden brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Prepare the garlic by taking the top off the whole head and removing excess skin. Make sure to leave it in tact with one layer of skin on and in whole form. This adds a lovely creamy, mellow flavour to the dish. (if you have never prepared garlic like this then just YouTube it)
- Next: Fry the garlic, rosemary, carrot, zucchini, capsicum and celery, with a little more oil for a few minutes until slightly golden. Pour in the wine then simmer until well reduced (alcohol will burn off).
- Finish: Tip in the stock and tomatoes, and add the chicken back in. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn down the heat and cook gently for 45 minutes, until the meat is falling from the bone.
For Baby: Puree with some mash , making sure bones are removed.
All Grown Up: Season to taste and serve with mash of choice or polenta and some crusty Spelt bread to mop up the sensational sauce. A little bit of lemon zest gives a nice tang. A little bit of lemon zest gives is a must have !
Rosemary boosts brain power and is a good soucre of vitamins A and C.
Share this Recipe